Thank you for your interest in becoming a member of Alma Lodge #523 and the Independent Order of Odd Fellow. Our organization includes members from all backgrounds and cultures, working together to help others while also enjoying fellowship opportunities. We hope the information below helps you to understand what our organization represents and some of what we have to offer. Should you have any additional questions, we encourage you to call us at 814-536-8341, email us at email@example.com, or contact us on Facebook. We're happy to talk further about our Lodge and becoming a member.
Steps To Becoming A Member
- Discuss Membership: The first step on the path to membership is to talk to a current member and express your interest in joining the Lodge. All applicants must be sponsored by a current member. If you know a member, you can begin the process with him or her. If you do not know a current member, contact our office and one of us would be happy to talk with you and get the membership process started.
- Submit an application: Once you talk to a member and decide that you are interested in applying for membership, you will need to submit your application. At this point, you will decide if you want to apply for beneficial membership or non-beneficial membership. Beneficial members are eligible for sick, funeral, and hospital benefits, while non-beneficial members are not. When you submit your application, you will also need to pay at least part of your initiation fee. The amount to be paid is based on whether you are applying for beneficial or non-beneficial membership. A chart with the initiation fee can be found on the back of the application. You can choose to pay the fee in full or pay part now and part once balloting on your application is completed. If you application is rejected, you would receive a full refund.
- The Interview: Once your application is submitted, the Lodge will organize a committee to meet with you. This meeting will allow us to learn more about you, while also giving you the opportunity to ask any questions you may have.
- Balloting: After the committee meets with you, they will report back to the Lodge and balloting on your application will occur. You will then be contacted via mail to advise you whether or not you have been accepted as a member.
- Welcome: If you are accepted as a member, more information will be provided to you concerning the next steps that officially bring you into our organization.
Resources and Additional Information:
Application for Membership
Informational Brochure About Alma Lodge/Alma Hall
IOOF Informational Brochure
Membership Information Page
Other Benefits and Opportunities
- Scholarships and Grants: A variety of scholarships and grants are available for students at the local, state, and national levels. Most are available to both members and their family members.
- Helping Others: Our organization supports a variety of causes and programs, designed to help others. By joining our Order, you are helping to assist those in need.
- Pilgrimage for Youth: The Odd Fellows sponsor an annual Pilgrimage for Youth, giving high school students the change to experience a one-of-a-kind trip filled with unique activities and networking opportunities.
Social Benefits Of Joining Our Lodge
- Events And Parties: All members are invited to a variety of events throughout the year, including a Christmas Party, Fun Days, Bus Trips, and much more. Visit our events page regularly, as we add new information regularly.
- Meetings: Attending Lodge meetings is a great way to meet other members and learn more about our Order. Meetings are held every Friday night (except July & August- 1st and 3rd Fridays only) and are open to members only. Refreshments are served after meetings (before meetings during the winter months). Come early or stay late to socialize and play a game of pool or ping pong.
- Leadership Opportunities: There are a variety of ways to get involved, including holding an office or chair, serving on a committee, or helping with a project. Our Lodge allows you to be as involved as you want to be.
Benefits Offered by Alma Lodge #523
- Sick Benefits: Benefits are available to beneficial members who are sick and under doctor's care
- Hospital Benefits: Beneficial members are eligible for benefits when they are in the hospital for at least three days (not including the day they are released).
- Funeral Benefits: Each beneficial member is eligible for a $2000 funeral benefit.